Monday, April 23, 2007

I want to be Made.

Danielle chose Reality make-over shows.

As with most MTV shows, the title Made sacrifices accuracy for brevity because, despite how it's marketed, Made does not help people achieve their dreams and instead it should be called
Teenage Identity Crisis
Or Teen Dilettantism depending on the contestant and his or her goals.
These are the two categories the episodes fall into.
If you are reminded of an 80s teen comedy, congratulations, you are watching a Teen Identity Crisis episode of Made.
These normally center around a high school outcast who aspires to be homecoming queen or a football player or football playing homecoming queen. These are Jan Bradies, and you just want to say, "Baby, we love you fine the way you are. You don't gotta be like that."
These episodes normally end with a big announcement before the student body and a lot of clapping and maybe crying.

If you find you are reminded of the South Park episode with the underpants gnomes, congratulations, you are watching a Teenage Dilettantism episode. These are the most fun.

In these episodes, there's this underlying condescension, or maybe it's not quite so mean-spirited. Maybe it's just unbelievable thoughtlessness. These contestants seem to pick something out of thin air to secretly admire or want to do and forget about minor steps like, oh, training. It's this blithe attitude that makes the contestants so laughable and the show so much fun to watch. They seem to assume they have a God-given talent at something they've never tried a day in their life. Instead of practicing, they imagine they are at press conference or on a talk-show sharing their tricks of the trade.

Let's take the ice-skating episode for an example. "The entire ice-skating profession has been waiting with baited breath for me to arrive on the scene and show em how it's done. All you guys have to do is skate and twirl. There's nothing to it."
"Of course," Bryan Boitano or Johnny Weir says, slapping his forehead. "Why didn't I think of that? I've wasted so much time practicing."
The ice-skater is really a lacrosse player and seems to be a decent player. So I'm not sure why he doesn't just take a class at the Y. Do they not have those in Made land? Or he can't he just watch ice-skating. That's fine. I like watching Lost, but I don't want to crash land anywhere.

It's like their thought-process goes:
Step 1: Realize you have a mild appreciation for ice-skating.
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Become a world-famous ice-skater. Hurray!

And I guess, with that thinking in mind, the contestants have their Made coach confused with their fairy god-mother. There's no magic wand, so you're going to have to work. Shut-up and practice.
I mean, really. It's just appalling, and you wonder how these kids made it to high school.
The ice-skater wannabe practices, which is novel for these episodes -- good for him, but practices without wearing socks.
After practicing, he asks some ice-skating regulars -- hoodlums, if you will -- why he has all these blisters now.
"Um.. cause you should really wear socks when you skate," and then they skated away laughing at him. Cause it's not like he catch up to them and tell them what for.
I knew that, and I don't skate, and I even knew socks -- probably a good idea. Possibly they are pivotal. I guess not so much in lacrosse.

I love the episode with the Ole Miss student who wants to be a Broadway dancer. I think she had a minimum of training. Maybe she danced in a church talent show. I forget. Her coach was hilarious. She dragged him to meet her family and would not shut up for the two hour drive. He looked at the camera and mimed shooting himself in the head.

I love it when the contestants fight with their Made coach and pitch a tantrum about the hard work they have to do.
I sympathize with the Made coaches, and I wonder how they're chosen. Did they think MTV exposure would help their career? Does it?
So many of them wind up yelling at the contestants, and I would too. They're just wasting an opportunity that a real ice-skater or whatever would appreciate.

Watching Made, I feel lucky that I at least know what I want to do with my life. I have Step 1 down.
But you know... I've always wanted to be a bullfighter. How hard could it be? Bulls are a big target. Just get out of their way while looking good. I bet I'd be great at it.

1 comment:

danielle said...

Coach Jim did get his short-lived show after he made some girl into a cheerleader (of sorts). But then he was too annoying.