Thursday, December 6, 2007

Nor Do I Want a Birdbath.

Several lifetimes ago, Danielle chose Christmas Ornaments.

I have many Christmas ornaments at my apartment but no tree. This always makes my family very sad to think of my apartment not decorated, but… really, where would I fit a tree?
Last year, after Christmas, my mom bought two new trees: one for me and one for Ethan.
I tried to tell her that they wouldn’t keep to even next year – never mind keeping to whenever I would actually want one. But she insisted and had Dad lug them up to the attic.
Trees imply such permanence. I mean, there they are. Stuck in the ground. They aren’t gallivanting out with who knows what. You can always count on a tree.
Likewise, I think owning a tree implies that you won’t be moving anytime soon, and while I love my one-bedroom apartment and hate packing all my worldly goods in boxes, I know one day I will have to move.

No comments: